Friday, November 7, 2008

NaNoWriMo Baby!

Current tuneage: Your Body Is A Wonderland - John Mayer

NaNoWriMo Stats:
Days in: 7
Words written: 10,028
On target: amazingly, yes

Well, the first week of NaNoWriMo is nearly done and despite the fact that I've only actually written THREE of these past seven days, I'm still on target to have 50,000 words by November 30th. I'm honestly a little shocked that I've written 10,000+ words in just three measly days. My novel is coming along at an unusually rapid pace and it's a little scary, exhilerating and unbelievable all at once.

The problem I'm having (and knew I was going to have before even beginning this monstrosity) is that I don't write on the weekends. Perhaps some day not long from now when I can be a full-time stay at home writer I'll write for a few hours every day. But until then, weekends are mine! I'll also be going out of town for a wedding one day and then there's Thanksgiving and the day after. So instead of the 30 days that most NaNoWriMo participants are counting on, I get 17. Yup, that's right, almost HALF of the time everyone else is taking to write 50,000 words. So the very obvious strategy I've devised is that I need to write double every day.

It's quite simple, really. You need to write 1167 words a day to reach the 50,000 mark in 30 days. I need to write 2942-ish in order to make the same mark in 17 days. Eesh. Well, at least I'm still caught up. Though we are only a week in...

Lots of work to do, but the deadline is keeping me going!!

More next week (and hopefully I'll be able to report that I'm still caught up---maybe even ahead of schedule...)

TGIF!!

No comments: