Friday, November 21, 2008

since when should the author have any say...

Current tuneage: Better As A Memory - Kenny Chesney

NaNoWriMo Stats:
Days in: 21
Words written: 41,690
On target? Ahead!

Ok, this is going to be a short entry since we're getting down to the wire here in NaNoWriMo and although I'm fabulously ahead of schedule, there's still much writing to be done before my last writing days (which is next Wednesday). That means I only have four more days, including today, to write 8,310 words... at least. I don't think my story will be finished by then. Although with the way things have been going, I don't have a clue anymore.

See, I've read about how other authors say that their characters suddenly stand up for themselves, take over and decide their own fate. I've never had that happen. Until now. Usually before I write a story I have a loose outline in place that keeps me on the track I planned (literally from first action to last action) that way my mind can't wander, writer's block stays a safe distance away and I can stay on track throughout the whole book. Of course I leave some actions open for a slight change, but nothing major. I always know what to expect from my characters. I don't let them run amok.

Fast forward to my brilliant decision to participate in this year's NaNoWriMo and what used to be such an organized process has all gone to hell. I didn't write any outline before beginning my story, just character bios. But I still had specific things in mind that my characters were supposed to do and they're not doing them! (For those of you that haven't written a novel before... or even tried... I may sound like I've gone off the deep end here, but I swear, there's nothing I can do!)

So, the perfect tidy little ending that I had in mind is no longer possible... at least I'm pretty sure it's not. But I'm kind of liking this new twist. Perhaps instead of trying to maintain a difficult hold on where this novel is going, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.

TGIF!

No comments: