Monday, July 7, 2008

delayed gratification?

Current tuneage: Killer Queen - Queen

So I obviously haven't written anything (blog, stories or otherwise) in several days. For the first few days of my vacation my mind felt free. I allowed myself to be unconcerned with work or schedules of any kind. I focused on relaxing and tried not to brainstorm or plot unconsciously (you'd be surprised how often that happens).

But a funny thing happened sometime Saturday afternoon. Despite the fully relaxed mood I was in, my mind started to wander. I started hearing character voices in my head (also happens to me frequently... and I promise that's normal too... ask any writer). I could literally hear parts of the story I'm working on playing out in my head. This is one way I know that what I'm writing has the serious potential for being successful. If I just can't get the story or the characters out of my head, I know they'll stick with me for the duration of writing that piece. If they stop talking to me, I've gone off down a road that doesn't make sense and I need to turn around and start again.

So needless to say, though I've been itching to write for the past few days, certain other projects that require immediate attention have taken up most of my day today, leaving me still unfulfilled and probably a little bit crazier than yesterday. Hopefully tomorrow my schedule will be a little clearer and I'll finally get to pour out everything that's been building up over the past few days.

A quote I was sent today coincides well with everything I've been talking about/thinking about, so I'll leave you with that.

"Failure is only the opportunity to begin again more intelligently." -Henry Ford

No comments: