Monday, June 16, 2008

genre? what's a genre?

Current tuneage: I Will Survive - Cake

I've been thinking a lot lately about what kind of genre I'd really like to stick to. The first novel I wrote would probably be considered commercial fiction or chick lit, the second is a little closer to mystery, but still commercial... probably not quite enough suspense to be called "mystery". Taking into consideration the fact that only two agencies so far have requested to read the whole manuscript, I guess I shouldn't be getting ahead of myself. I would certainly be happy regardless of the genre I became published in, however, once published do I box myself in to that one category or do I write what I want to write and let it be categorized where it may?

I try to keep thoughts like these out of my head during the writing process. I'm sure it only hinders whatever creativity is magically flowing at the time, but it's hard. I do tend to find that the busier I am, the more strictly I have to keep to a schedule, the more productive I am. It's when things are slow that these negative, non-productive thoughts tend to accumulate.

So one of my experiments this week is to try and keep myself to a stricter schedule. Hopefully this way, I'll able to get more done in less time.

No comments: